Bailing out Cascade Canyon
The Teton Crest Trail, Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming
Trekking from the South Fork Cascade Canyon out to Jenny Lake.
The pitter-patter of rain against my tent in Cascade Canyon was not a welcome sound the next morning. It’s never a good thing to have your first thought of the day be, “fuuuuuuuu*k…” I just kept lying there – no desire to get out of my tent until I could at hear someone else moving. After about an hour, I realized we must all be in a stalemate – everyone waiting for someone else to get up. Unzipping my rainfly, a pile of snow fell on to my boots that were sitting just under the flap.
I pushed the rest of the snow off the fly and went out in to the sleet. It was a very, very wet snow and in looking around camp, all of our tents sat in half-inch puddles of water. With a very thin layer of white snow coating everything, it was a truly beautiful and peaceful sight, but within minutes, I was already cold an drenched to the bone.
As everyone else got up, we snacked as we waiting for a gap in the rain/sleet/snow in order to pack our already drenched gear. Moral was low. I expect we were all thinking it, but I was the one to finally throw out the fact that we did have the option to hike out the rest of Cascade Canyon if we wanted. We all did want to keep going, but we were freezing and everything was just so, so wet. We decided that we wouldn’t make a final desicion until we talked to some day-hikers coming up Cascade Canyon – if the weather was predicted to clear and we’d be able to dry our stuff in the sun later in the day, we would keep going. If we were informed that we would continue to be socked in and rained on, we’d call it a day and trek out to Jenny Lake and back to civilization.
We bumped into a jogger about 30 minutes in to hiking towards the north fork. “Is this weather going to keep going or is it going to clear up?”
“It’s actually supposed to get a lot worse later on.” He replied.
Aaaaaaaaaaannnnddddddd we’re done.